Wednesday 11 January 2017

Rocco



In our neck of the woods we have many awesome cute animals,including raccoons-they are so sweet, often hanging around in the trees in summer. There was a resident family in our chimney when we moved in a while back-we waited until the babies grew up and then we closed up the chimney when they left. We still have many around, and in the winter we do feed them. I am sure that they did OK before I was around, but I feel very badly for them in the cold weather. In the summer, a whole family-mom and four kids came into my living room through the glass door that is open all the time, and had my kitties` lunch.  My fur kids did not complain, just watched them patiently from a top the mantle.

I have a special bag of dry cat food that I serve in a dish every evening-and often with what ever is left in the kitchen. I haven`t seen any raccoon lately, but this evening I was fortunate enough to see him. I was astonished- he was as big as a large cat with a thin tail and a pink snout, -he had a thin light grey coat, not quite bald. I sort of felt sorry for him, not having much hair-I thought he maybe a sick raccoon. First I thought he was an other kind of animal of sorts, but then I checked on the internet and found one like him. It said there are a few like him, and they are not sick-they have something like ”alopecia”, like what  humans often  have. Also-he could be an albino-but he wasn`t white, but light grey. Poor little thing-how cold he must be with no coat, at least he has dinner guaranteed every evening-I shall call him Rocco, great name even if he is a she. 

Oh goodness me, I just realized that Rocco is not-bald, neither is he an albino, nor  is he a raccoon; Rocco is an opossum!

No comments:

Post a Comment