Friday 30 September 2016

My fur kids



Image result for black and brow cat together in nature
Oh to be a cat. I have some wonderful fur kids-I just adore them. I was always a dog person ever since I can remember, but a number of years ago, twenty to be exact –by providence or rather by my daughter who at the time had her first child and  had a kitty named Evie, that constantly peed in the cot, decided that I should adopt her. I still had my Doberman Shaka-the Zulu, as well as my beloved spaniel, Dennis. So, my fur family grew-and they did live very peacefully together-if only us humans could do the same thing. They had their misunderstandings but overall it was one happy family.

As the years went by, sadly Dennis after a wonderful life of 17 years one Victoria Day morning walked out of the house never to return-I guess he did not want me to grieve-I did anyway , but I suppose it wasn`t as bad had I seem him dying. Then Shaka-my gentle giant got hit by a car breaking his back on a Good Friday about 2 years later-we tried everything to save him, but to no avail-so Evie became my solitary fur kid for many years.

Strange thing cats-they pick up thoughts- whenever she was in the garden all I had to think” Now where is that cat?”-imagine her in my mind, and she would appear as if my magic. Cats are extremely good at this, they know what you are thinking. Then I moved into my apartment-and she was as happy as a pig in a poke-at the old house I had my sister and her family living upstairs and my brother-in-law wasn`t really a cat person, Evie knew this and wasn`t entirely happy with the situation.

So moving was just great for her-she totally rejuvenated, became almost like a young cat again, though she was around 15 at the time. Cats have an amazing spirit life if one really thinks about it and observes. You always know when a cat is happy or depressed.  Sadly, about 3 years later she died peacefully in the living room-she had a great life and was deeply loved. I was sad- never an other cat nor dog I swore-I was dead wrong.

My brother Oliver some weeks later, turned up with two fur kids- to cheer me up; a black cat like Evie was named Alice, and a black and white tuxedo cat-he named Felix. He was a bit grumpy, and that was his original name -but we rechristened him and he became Felix. From then on he was rather a happy fellow and did become my favourite, though I would never really show it-for each one got lots of my love equally ;- equal massages, tummy rubs, pats and kisses- and many terms of endearments.

Then-though I had told my daughter –“don`t you ever dare get an other cat-as I will not adopt it. Two is enough for me, for I know eventually I will need to parent it.” She did anyway-and after about two years-Chloe arrived literally on my doorstep-my daughter  Laurissa was crying and begging me to take her in, as she had to move and no cats were allowed at the new place. My fur family grew suddenly-what can I say I love them all-they are all individual personalities.

Then last year we moved into the country. Immediately they were in their element-they adore the garden, the river and the freedom. Often I receive presents in the form of a field mouse, or a cricket at the foot of my bed-they are such characters.

Sadly-Felix suddenly got a stroke, and went suddenly blind, then deaf-for months he went slowly downhill. He slept with me every night with my arms around him. Eventually I had to feed him daily, give him water like a baby-but he was so loved. It broke my heart to see him that way, but I said God will take him when He sees fit. Then in May he was really bad- and he died in my arms. We had  a long goodbye and a prayer to St Francis to help him on his journey –I promised him we shall meet later on , not to worry and it is fine to go. He did-my little fur angel took a long deep sigh a small shiver, and he was gone.  That night, he was taken away by the river to kitty heaven.

Now I have sweet Chloe, my callico and Alice-frolicking in the garden, lazying down by the river, often chasing butterflies and squirrels. Sleeping in the grass amongst the wildflowers-now, the weather is getting cooler, the trees are changing, so they spend a little less time outside. They both keep a strong eye like a policeman-Alice is the chief and Chloe is the assistant- on my mom`s fur kid-Fonzie, making sure that he never leaves the property; if he ventures off a little, they both are on his case, chasing him back. They are so much fun to watch as they do the police work.  

Yes- cats are amazing once you get to know their heart and soul. When they have a misunderstanding-hissing at each other, all I need to say is; " we have to love each other now- we really must"-then they look at each other, look at me  and stop-turn and walk away. They are hilarious.


No comments:

Post a Comment