Sunday 18 June 2017

Ecclesiasis 3


Image result for flowers
Public Television is great for making fires from one spark. They are so good at it –food for the soul at times. So- the other night it was such. At times one`s mind seems to seek out memories from the past, or some reminder like a song just seems to crop up and one remembers certain moments. The exact moments strangely enough of some major event, or at times just a special moment in  one`s earthly existence. Life is simply a collection of these string of events-words, actions-, strung together like different kind of beads on a necklace, that is made up of diamonds, pearls and all kinds of precious stones-some just simple grey pebbles. I do value them so, I have no words even to express how I feel about it-for it is all beyond words.

I know for a fact in my heart, that  those beads are really what gives life meaning-for but the present is already a memory. So-I keep collecting till I die-I cherish them all-even the one`s that are pebbles, they still have tremendous value to me. This is just being human-and we are simply like the morning mist here one day, gone tomorrow. But-I fervently think that the memories remain within our soul-and through them we learn all the lessons of creation-which is really just one lesson: how to love. For God is love, and each spark of God is love-whom we are, without knowing, without understanding, without seeing-so the lesson needs to be learnt.

Eons ago, a person who loved me deeply –just loved this these words from Ecclesiastes; in song non the less, by the Australian band, The Byrds- called “Turn , turn, turn”. I think it was originally sung by Canadian Judy Collins and composed by Pete Seeger.

My first love- we met when he was 17 and I 15. When he was 18 , and I 16 he was  first year in the “naval academy” and he came home for the summer. This was his song –he  swore he would marry me and love me forever and live happily ever after. But then, no one told us that only exists in fairy tales. Well, none of it happened-maybe love actually did, or still does. He kept telling me it does-though it is only a few times a years we speak, at times out of the blue I get a call-or a message, or I send an e-mail. Though not lately, sadly. I know he thinks of me and cares, as I do of him. Thus is life.

For whatever reason though our lives have been like passing ships in the night-but there is always a reason why we encounter souls with whom we have a  deep connection. Often  there is a brief moment of some recognition-from times past, as John O`Donohue writes – a feeling that we have met before. Sadly-then we forget once more and on we go our separate ways.

But in truth one never forgets a first love. It is said love is eternal-it is if it was there in the first place, and not just some phantom imagining of the heart. Neither of us has  forgotten I am sure, though we hardly admit it to each other-but , love is truly forever, even if it only exists in our minds. Words have this strange phenomena of hanging around in one`s heart and head-maybe even more so in the soul. And we move on toiling,  paddling towards eternity with all our might. Trying to do the best we can-trying to guess God`s will,-and follow it. Which may be not His will at all-but intent is what is important.

 Ecclesiastes 3

A Time for Everything

There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:

    a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment