Saturday 6 August 2016

Inukshuk




Many years ago I was watching television, and a children`s show was on-it was talking about different customs , especially one that is a very important one amongst our  “the First Nations”. I cannot remember which nation, but it most certainly made an impression on me that I shall never forget, for I found it so heart warming.

During important celebrations- where gifts are given or exchanged, they have a tradition that they give something away that is very important in their lives- not  necessarily expensive, but something special that is very dear to them.  This expresses deep love and devotion to the one receiving the gift- for it is coming from the heart.

In our household- we made up our own tradition for Christmas for many years now; we call it “go around”- each family member has to make something themselves; it can be anything-big or small –a drawing, or some sort of handy-work, messages written on stone pebbles, shells with quotes on them and things like that. Then we write our names on a piece of paper, fold it and place it in a dish, and each one of us has a turn in taking one- and whose name one draws , that is the gift that they receive. One year I made a quite large Inukshuk , my mom drew my name and got  that-I still remember how happy she was,  as she really wanted that ; it is standing in the dining room  many years now.

As I think back on the years- those are the only gifts I remember giving and receiving, the ones drew from the bottle, and also ones I still have. Other gifts I hardly remember and have fallen by the wayside. They were bought with money, these were made with love from the heart.

As for giving away things that have been close to my heart to people I love or have loved  are also quite a few. I remember almost all I have given away. I have never regretted parting from them, though they were important to me, but the person I gave it too was more important. As it is said- it is always far more valuable to give then to receive especially to someone that one loves. It is not the gift, but the spirit of giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment