Wednesday 5 April 2017

The way things are


Image result for sheep
 As one gets older many views change, maybe that is wisdom or experience-but very few beliefs, ideas are the same as when we were younger.  I suppose-one could call the different “decades” in one`s life as  “passages”.  It is even more profound now as we have access to the internet, and each day we can discover a new subject that interests us-at times one gets so confused for often they are in total contrast with each other. Thus, one needs to disseminate the information in various ways –and each of us interprets it differently.

What I have done is very strongly narrowed down my interest, as one cannot be a master of everything-especially subjects that need years of study and practice. This is even more important in the spiritual field, as that becomes a belief system that is for life. So, I have incorporated many systems into my spiritual life, and have discarded just as many. As I have discarded numerous interesting groups that I have been member of, not because they aren`t correct, but it just dosn`t complement my life or serve my purpose.

There was a time when I thought most sincerely that I could change the world-make  difference, but I have come to the realization that I can only change myself, and my immediate surroundings to some degree. Now, the time has come that I don`t even waste my time by posting things, neither do I spend my time much on Face Book, nor interacting with people on the internet. I realize as so many wiser than I have said-that one finds God within, and without in everything, especially in peace and solitude-not among raging crowds. One can do more in silence than in taking part in making a louder din in the world.  No wonder sacredness is found in solitude and tranquility-as the Dalai Lama claims by meditating 5 hours each day.

I am not a Buddhist, but they have something that we should take to heart “mindfulness”-however as the lyrics of the Italian song claim in  “Occidentali`s karma”-that we are just tourist to the eastern traditions-with our yoga, mantras and meditations. It is just the “in thing” to do these days-often more for show, there are exceptions of course, always are. Spirituality has become an overused word in our vernacular, not really a practice. Very few have woken up, especially many who think they have-most of us are still in deep slumber with regarding to being aware of “our higher consciousness”.

I am saying this because if we really look at the state of the planet-the awful happenings in Syria yesterday and in numerous places in the world, it does seem that the world is not improving in spirituality, compassion, goodness and love, but just the opposite. Sadly-we don`t keep to the mantra of every religion, every belief system in the world where the bottom line of all is “love” and that we are all within an interconnected energy field that encompasses all and everything. Where is this love hiding? Where is compassion found?  Seems non-existent, sadly.

I have seriously decided that I refuse to be a sheep and live accordingly to the following words-

“ I will love the sun for it warms my bones; yet I will love the rain for it cleanses my spirit. I will love the light for it shows me the way; yet I will love the darkness for it shows me the stars. I will welcome happiness for it enlarges my heart; yet I will endure sadness for it opens my soul. I will acknowledge rewards for they are my due; yet I will welcome obstacles for they are my challenge. I will live this day as if it is my last. And if it is not, I shall fall to my knees and give thanks. And do all to the best of my ability. 
 “I was not delivered unto this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.”
―Og Mandino, “The Greatest Salesman in the World”
























No comments:

Post a Comment